As 2014 begins, many people have set their sights on a new job as part of their New Year’s Resolution. Along with getting in shape (healthy), finding a new career or job remains one of the top priorities among professionals in today’s market.
This may be easier said than done. However, a new and better job could be closer than you realize. Here are a few tactics you can use to get a head start on your search:
- Update your resume. Timing can be everything when searching for your next opportunity. Practice the Scout Motto and always “Be prepared.”
- Be proactive. Don’t be afraid to test the waters and see what else is out there. As the economy stabilizes, there are more opportunities than ever to be rewarded for your contributions.
- Contact a trusted recruiter*. They can be a trusted advocate and an extra set of eyes and ears putting you in touch with companies who don’t advertise.
- Take risks. As Jack Welch said, “Control your destiny or someone else will.”
- Know what you’re looking for. When opportunity comes knocking, be sure that it aligns with your career aspirations.
The New Year brings ample opportunity for a fresh start. While this may look different for all of us, there is no doubt something bigger and better is out there for you.
*For guidance in identifying the right recruiter for you visit: Finding a Recruiter Who is Right For You